Sunday, July 12, 2009

Val Vs Wild (Desert Edition)

I don't know why... but the desert ha always fascinated me ever since I was a litlle kid. I always dreamed about riding with the nomads,my face wrapped with a scarf & sleeping under the stars.

Today, we trekked into the Thar Desert ( At some point in this post will probably misspell desert as dessert, dont mind can?) *ahem* Anyway, I was a litlle nervous at first. Dehydration was the main thing on my mind. But I felt reassured becasue I had watched all of Bear Grylls Desert episodes. I knew my stuff.

We drove about an hour from Jaisalmer and then got on our camels. Thats where we met our guide for the trip: Baidir. Dressed in a blue robe, There was a very Moroccan/Egyptian feel to him. He also had a moustach that almost twirled at the edges.

Anyway, first things first. Getting on a camel. Not an easy feat. You have to climb on when the camel is in a sitting position. Then you have to stay on at it tries to get up. Strangely enough it felt a little like one of those bull machines (You know? the one that tries to throw you off?). In fact, the entire camel ride felt like a mega i-gallop session.

We rode for about an hour where we stopped to have lunch. Baidir and his friend made us lunch from scratch (Chai, Chapathi and Curry). The dunes were beautiful. It had rained (rain & desert? wtf!) the night before so things were a bit solid (No dune sliding for val!)

Anyway, a few more hours of riding and we reached our camp site. Set up camp near a whole load of Dung Beatles. niice.

No comments:

Post a Comment